If you have a particularly snug closet space—such as when you repurpose a linen closet—a sliding barn door can be a great option. You just need to make sure you have wall space at least the width of your door opening, to accommodate the track and opened door. Check out this video to learn how to install a sliding barn door yourself. Replace a bare-bulb with a multi-light fixture that can be aimed at specific zones in your workspace.
You could also look into hanging stationary organizers on the walls to save even more space. A large closet can also have the bonus of natural lighting, perfect for a bright, cheery area instead of a closed storage feel. If you have a window, renovate the room so your desk can be beneath it for a beautiful view. Here is where closet office ideas truly shine; these closets often have plenty of space for both clothes and a home office. It does take more planning to pull it off, but it’s worth the effort.
Install your desk
If you’re using your preexisting wall color, this will mainly just be touching up where you filled in the holes. If you’re painting with a completely different wall color, you will want to measure off and just paint the top portion of your closet with the new lighter color. 2020 may be officially over, but, for a lot of people, working from home is not! Another important consideration in a closet home office is its location.
- Beyond the desk, you get to be a little creative and make your converted closet office into your own.
- Measure out the counter space you can spare to use as a desk and add the items that have to be close at hand, even if that’s just your laptop and a printer in the corner.
- Add some greenery to improve the aesthetic of your cloffice and boost up your mood.
- Whether that be a spare closet, unused closet, or simply a small space an entire desk could fit into.
- “To bring in the character of my space, I chose gold as an accessory accent color and gray because that’s the color scheme in my home,” she explains.
The National Electric Code requires closet outlets to have arc fault circuit interrupters to help prevent fires. Whether you’re still working from home due to the pandemic or you’ve decided to make the switch to full-time remote work, you need a proper home office. The problem is you don’t https://remotemode.net/blog/contract-vs-full-time-employment-comparison/ have an office or room you can convert into a home office, and the dining room table isn’t cutting it anymore. Utilize a variety of boxes, bins, and jars to store your small office supplies. These storage pieces are a great way to inject your personal style into your home work zone.
Ways to Maximize Space in Kids Bedrooms
But finding apartments with an extra room, at least in my price range (in very expensive Miami) wasn’t happening. Take inspiration from content creator Jenna Allard and turn an extra closet into a vanity. “We started by taking out the doors and hardware from the pre-existing closet and then patched, sanded, and painted the interior,” she tells AD. If you’ve got an extra hall closet, it might be the perfect opportunity to create a mudroom. Jessica Bui, the blogger behind The Orange Home, accomplished this task in 2020 when she converted the “most random closet in the world” into a practical catchall space. Since the beginning of the pandemic, homeowners have come to the New York–based interior designer Sara Mosele with some interesting solicitations.
A desk lamp is not going to cut it; you need something that will provide ample lighting. Due to closets being small, they can often get stuffy very quickly. Make sure to install a good ventilation system in your office to combat this! You do not want to be stuck in a stuffy closet all day, so make sure you have air-conditioning or fans to help keep the temperature down. If you are someone who likes to be organized, a filing cabinet is one of the must-haves for your home office. This will allow you to store all of your important papers in one place and keep them organized.
Get a Bold (and Comfy) Chair
Hang wire baskets on the walls instead of installing shelves, or use plank-and-bracket shelving that’s easy to take apart and pack when you move. Cabinets are another essential element in most closet office nooks. Although smaller fitted closets may not have room for any type of cabinet, most closet offices will have the space for at least one decent set of drawers. LED light strips installed beneath shelves or cabinets are a great way to illuminate your work surface without adding a visible light fixture. Chances are that you won’t find an electric outlet inside your closet for plugging in light strips—or your laptop, for that matter.
- Although smaller fitted closets may not have room for any type of cabinet, most closet offices will have the space for at least one decent set of drawers.
- “Definitely keep in mind you might need to add an electrical outlet,” she says.
- Here are some ways for you to convert your closet into an office.
- The same goes for clients, visitors, and guests–all of whom will need enough room in order to be comfortable.
- I use this light therapy lamp to bring “happy light” back into the space which, I feel, tends to improve my mood.
- If your doors don’t fold, take advantage of vertical real estate by screwing thin sheets of cork to their back sides for posting notes and bills.
- This will allow you to store all of your important papers in one place and keep them organized.
- Since we do not have any outlets inside the closet, we needed to run an extension cord from outside the closet to supply power.
You want to spread the lighting around by adding puck lights, desk lamps, and mounted sconces to dark corners. Leave considerable space over your desk area (so you don’t hit your head every time you stand up) and put up some floating shelves to show off your precious items. Attach them to the ceiling of the closet or if there are shelves above the desk, stick the puck lights under it. These are bright lights and buying a couple of them should considerably cheer up the space. Here are some handpicked cloffice ideas that will help to create your own happy workspace.
Understandably, removing closets might make your home feel short on storage.
If your bedroom has more than one closet, consolidate your clothes into one and use the other for your office. If you only have one master bedroom closet, free up that space by purchasing one or two wardrobes for your shoes and clothing. If you have a guest bedroom that rarely gets used, upgrading the closet into an office turns it into a dual-purpose https://remotemode.net/blog/tips-for-converting-your-closet-to-a-cozy-office/ space. You can simply close the closet door on your office when you have overnight guests. Nearly two years into the pandemic, it’s time to stop working at the kitchen table and start designing your dream office. If you’re anything like Katelyn Richardson or Kookie Jackson, all you need is an extra coat closet to make it a reality.
Of course, space may be an issue, and you may have to settle for something smaller or more austere than you would otherwise prefer. If you have a repurposed coat closet, you may simply not have room for the same type of rolling office chair that would fit into a huge walk-in closet. However, you can find smaller-scale office chairs that have all the features of larger models.